Deadspin has pulled some quotes from various threads Jr. has participated in.
Here’s what I see as a gun culture guy:
• Jr. reloads ammo. This a positive attribute, should speak flatteringly to his character for a few reasons. Reloading is time consuming, and speaks to thrift and precision / fastidiousness.
• Jr. asks questions to learn technical and maintenance details (bows and arrows..) – also flattering of his character.
• Jr. has AR questions, asks them in terms of complying with NY law – there isn’t any crank bravado or ‘Molon Labe’ invoked there.
• Jr.’s hunting pictures are tasteful / respectful.
• Jr. has utilitarian message board user names that are his initials. He probably embraced that form merely because it was easy to remember. He doesn’t cock off about who he is, in his chatter about hunting Alaska or Africa he sounds pretty matter of fact, like any other guy’s guy affluent hunter I’ve been around. He’s not involved in conversations that bandies how expensive and elite it is, all that…. Maybe cuz it’s not so much these days. Exotic hunting has been democratized a bit like everything else.
• He is recorded there expressing derision to gun control and one its proponents, Rosie O’Donnell. Like father like son, but…. Meh. If I’m to rate him 1 to 10 on a scale of gun message board obnoxiousness, I rate him a 2, maybe 3. He’s positive and well behaved generally.
Understanding Jr.’s Trumpi-ness in general you’d have sense to guess he’s a dick… and I’m quite OK with entertaining that guess… but there’s zero that reveals it with his gun message board activity. Such that Jr’s internet wandering made public reveal his private life, he ain’t Anthony Weiner say.
I have logins at several of those message boards that Deadspin lists, though those aren’t among my handful of mainstays… I grew up with some hand-me-down of aptitude right, but my father didn’t give me the insight I have to ply the niche trade I ply. I learned that stuff substantially from reading gun message boards. The internet is an amazing thing, people of like minds gather and talk. On gunboards, guys talk about …. guns, with what I’d say is consistent fraternal politeness. Now, if you are guided by trope you may be moved to deduce…. the gunnies are on the right and the alt-right is on the right, right? And the alt-right probably likes guns…. Ipso facto, the gun boards are a hot bed of white guy anger, hating on blacks, mexicans, jews and muslims? There are a few assumptions Deadspin is trying to play to with this article, and that’s probably one of them. It’s not true. I’ve never, ever seen such a thread on the gun enthusiast boards, Id assert authoritatively there isn’t any 4chan/alt-right crossover to perceive in these places.